Windsor-Tecumseh MPP Lisa Gretzky in Windsor, April 3, 2025. Photo by Mark Brown/WindsorNewsToday.ca.Windsor-Tecumseh MPP Lisa Gretzky in Windsor, April 3, 2025. Photo by Mark Brown/WindsorNewsToday.ca.
Windsor

MPP Gretzky blasts job cuts at WSIB

The Ford government's decision to review Ontario's agencies, including the Worker Safety and Insurance Board, has meant job cuts in Windsor.

"Ontario's agencies are central to our government's plan to protect Ontario, delivering vital services that millions of families, workers, and businesses rely on every day," said Treasury Board President Peter Bethanfalvy earlier this month. "By launching these reviews, our government is ensuring agencies have the strong financial footing needed to improve operations while respecting taxpayer money."

Windsor West MPP Lisa Gretzky issued a statement on Thursday saying that, as a result of the review, ten WSIB offices across the province will close, resulting in the loss of nearly 500 jobs.

In Windsor, 131 positions have been declared redundant.

"Windsor workers deserve better than Doug Ford's plan to close WSIB offices and cut 131 good jobs from our community," said Gretzky. "These experienced workers who have spent years helping injured workers who navigate a complex compensation system, and losing that local expertise will have real consequences, making it harder for injured workers to get the support they need."

Gretzky claims closing local offices and reducing experienced staff will result in longer wait times, delays in processing claims, and less support for workers already struggling to make ends meet.

"Doug Ford can't claim that he is creating good jobs in Windsor, as he did in a recent self-promotional text message campaign, while his government cuts 131 good local jobs," added Gretzky. "The WSIB and this government need to explain why Windsor is being singled out for these cuts and how closing offices will improve service for injured workers."

The WSIB office in Windsor says it continues to provide services, and the way it does that isn't changing. It hasn't provided in-person service from the Windsor office since the pandemic started in 2020.

"The WSIB is modernizing how we deliver service, and we have made some difficult business decisions to consolidate some claim and account management functions," read an email from the Windsor office. "We recognize this is difficult news for affected team members and their families. We will treat everyone fairly and with respect in recognition of the valuable role they have played on our team, including opportunities to relocate, access to resume writing, job-seeking services, and a continuation of benefits including unlimited mental health support during this transition."

The government said it selected the agencies based on their reliance on government funding, financial performance, size and complexity, and workforce growth trends.

Gretzky said it doesn't sound like the government conducted any consultations before making the cuts.

"I do know the workers and the union that represents them were completely caught off guard when the job cuts were announced, so it doesn't sound like the workers or those who access the services were consulted," she said.

Other agencies under review include the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, Ontario Cannabis Retail Corporation, Legal Aid Ontario, and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission.

Read More Local Stories